Place:Lindlar, Rheinland, Preußen, Germany

Watchers
NameLindlar
TypeTown
Coordinates51.017°N 7.383°E
Located inRheinland, Preußen, Germany
Also located inOberbergischer Kreis, Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany    
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Lindlar is a municipality in the Oberbergischer Kreis, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located about 30 km east of Cologne.

Contents

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Settlement and first naming

It is likely that the area around Lindlar was settled in the stone age. While there is no ultimate proof for that, neolithic artifacts were found near Kemmerich and Fenke. Until the Middle Ages the area was covered with virgin forests; it can therefore be assumed that only few people, such as hunters, settled there. The eldest available records mentioning Lindlar -then known as Lintlo- date back to the year 1109. But as an older document from the year 958 cites the transferral of the Kaldenkapellen -now Hohkeppel- church to the Severinsstift in Cologne and as the former was then provably subordinated to the parish church in Lindlar, this church must have already existed in that year or even up to a few decades earlier.

Till 1815

The tower of the parish church of Lindlar was built in the 12th century and remains till today, although the tower's roof was built in the 18th century. A nave was lustrated in the year of 1500, and the present nave was built in 1826. The village of Lindlar was centred around the church.

In the course of time more and more woods were stubed, both by the farmers and on order of the landlords. Centers of the expansion were the so-called "Fronhöfe" and the "Herrenhöfe". Here the farmers had to pay their tenth and the work of courts and administration were done.

The "Bergische Land" was divided in departments and circuits. The area around Lindlar, including Wipperfeld, Bechen, Kürten, Olpe, Lindlar, Overath, Engelskirchen, Hohkeppel and Wipperfürth formed the department of Steinbach. Steinbach is a small village next to Lindlar and was named after the castle of Steinbach.

In this time a county court was set up in Lindlar. In 1440 Hohkeppel and in 1554 Engelskirchen had their own parish churches.

In 1806 Napoleon bestowed upon the county of Berg the honour of being a grand duchy. The county court in Lindlar remained, but was renamed in "Friedensgericht". Furthermore, the "canton Lindlar" was formed.

1815 - 1870

After 1815 the whole Rhineland became part of Preußen and the "district Wipperfürth" was set up. In 1828 the population of Lindlar was 5430, 5396 were Catholic and only 34 Protestants.

1871–1918

In 1882 an auxiliary fire brigade in Lindlar was arranged. A new building for the county court in Lindlar had to be built in 1895. In 1897 the municipal council first reflected upon the idea of a railway connection to Lindlar. The idea was to build a connection to Immekeppel where a train to Cologne departed and arrived. In 1906 this was allowed by the government and the railway Cologne – Bergisch Gladbach – Immekeppel – Lindlar was opened in 1912. There were several elementary schools in Lindlar: in the town of Lindlar, Linde, Waldbruch, Süng, Frielingsdorf, Hohkeppel, Schmitzhöhe and Kalkofen. Since the priest Johannes Fischer and the carpenter Christian MIebach gave their legacy for a new hospital, a hospital was built in Lindlar and opened in 1891. In 1904 a new townhall was built.

1919 - 1932

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Lindlar. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.