Place:Limington, Somerset, England

Alt namesDraycott in Limingtonsource: from redirect
TypeAncient parish, Civil parish
Coordinates50.997°N 2.654°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoStone Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Yeovil Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district 1894-1974
South Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Limington (#14 on map) is a civil parish and a village in Somerset, England, situated 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Yeovil and near the left bank of the River Yeo opposite Yeovilton (#39). The parish includes the hamlet of Draycott. The village has a population of 199.

Before the Norman Conquest the manor was held by Glastonbury Abbey. It then passed to the Courcelles family after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539.

William Rosewell purchased the manor in 1564 and it was inherited by subsequent generations: William Rosewell of Forde Abbey (1563-1593); Sir Henry Rosewell (1593-1656); and Dame Dorothy Rosewell (1656-1663). Dorothy Rosewell was forced by act of Parliament to sell Limington manor in 1663. The manor was then purchased by James Tazewell who re-built the manor house in 1672. He died in 1683 leaving the manor to his eldest son, James. In 1689 James Tazewell sold it to Virtue Radford and Edward Allen.

The Anglican Church of St Mary dates from the late 14th century and includes fragments of an earlier building. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building. Thomas Wolsey was the vicar of the parish before becoming a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and Lord Chancellor to Henry VIII.

Image:Yeovil Rural 1900 small.png


Limington was originally a parish in the Stone Hundred, one of the hundreds or early subdivisions of the county of Somerset. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of the Yeovil Rural District.

In 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, all urban and rural districts across England were abolished and counties were reorganized into metropolitan and non-metropolitan districts. Limington joined the non-metropolitan South Somerset District which covers the southeast corner of Somerset.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI page on Limington.
  • The Victoria History of the Counties of EnglandHistory of the County of Somerset, produced by The Institute of Historical Research at the University of London, does not provide any details on the parish and chapelries of Stone Hundred.
  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address:
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Limington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.