Place:Harmby, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameHarmby
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates54.3016°N 1.8045°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoLeyburn Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1974
Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Harmby is a village and civil parish in Lower Wensleydale very near to Leyburn, in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. It is closely connected with Spennithorne, half a mile away. The sports associations of the two villages are linked.

The waterfall at Harmby is accessed via one of two footpaths from the main road, near the top of Harmby Bank, across from the Pheasant Inn.

Edward Baines, in his 1823 directory, lists the village as Harnby and gives the population as 194.

This small community has few businesses; the largest are the Pheasant Inn and the Lower Wensleydale Caravan Club Site (caravan park).

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Harmby was located in Leyburn Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Spennithorne in the Hang West Wapentake.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Harmby. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.