Place:Gosforth, Northumberland, England

Alt namesSouth Gosforthsource: part of Gosforth Urban District 1894-1974
Coxlodgesource: part of Gosforth Urban District 1894-1974
TypeChapelry, Civil parish, Urban district
Coordinates55.001°N 1.617°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoCastle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Coxlodge, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1908
South Gosforth, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1908
North Gosforth, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1935
Fawdon, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1935
East Brunton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1935
City of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, Englandmetropolitan district covering the area 1974-2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Gosforth is a well-established area of Newcastle upon Tyne, England in Tyne and Wear, situated to the north of the city centre. Gosforth constituted an urban district in Northumberland from 1895 to 1974, when it became part of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne. It has a population of 23,620.

In 1777, Gosforth contained the seven townships of

Image:Northumberland se corner 1935-1974.png

Coxlodge and South Gosforth constituted the most urban and the most southern townships of the parish. Kenton and Fawdon were to the west, and North Gosforth, East and West Brunton were immediately to the north. These outlying townships were sufficiently rural to become part of the Castle Ward Rural District in 1894.

By order of the Local Government Board on 20 September 1872, the parishes of South Gosforth and Coxlodge were constituted into a district, governed by the South Gosforth Local Board. After the 1894 Local Government Act, it became the South Gosforth Urban District Council. A year later, by a Northumberland County Council order dated 14 March 1895, the title was changed again to Gosforth Urban District Council.

On 15 July 1903, the District Council applied for an order from Northumberland County Council, to extend its boundaries to include the parishes of North Gosforth, East Brunton, West Brunton, Fawdon and the greater part of Kenton. On 9 September 1903, an inquiry was held into the Gosforth Scheme, but the proposal was refused. The parishes of Coxlodge and South Gosforth were amalgamated into the parish of Gosforth in 1908. Gosforth then extended its boundaries after the County of Northumberland Review Order 1935, to include part of Castle Ward Rural District. This comprised parts of East Brunton, Fawdon and North Gosforth civil parishes. Kenton was absorbed by Newcastle upon Tyne. The Gosforth Urban District Council was finally abolished on 1 April 1974 to become part of the City of Newcastle Metropolitan Borough Council.


In the 19th century, Gosforth was the location of a number of collieries, including Gosforth and Coxlodge Collieries. Gosforth Colliery was located in South Gosforth, while Coxlodge Colliery was west of the Great North Road. Coxlodge Colliery comprised two pits; the Regent pit, where the Regent Centre now stands, and the Jubilee pit further west on Jubilee Road.

Bulman's Village

The modern-day centre of Gosforth, straddling the Great North Road (here called Gosforth High Street), originated in 1826 as a settlement known for several decades as Bulman's Village. It originally consisted of a number of properties large enough to qualify occupiers for the franchise (so-called 'forty shilling freeholders' (equivalent to £2 since decimalization)), built by the Bulman family in an attempt to provide voters for their cause in the 1826 elections. A stone bearing the name 'Bulman Village' survives and was incorporated in the façade of a later building, the Halifax Bank building north of the Brandling Arms public house.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Gosforth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.