Place:Garsdon, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameGarsdon
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.578°N 2.061°W
Located inWiltshire, England
See alsoMalmesbury Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Malmesbury Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1934
Lea and Cleverton, Wiltshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was merged in 1934
North Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England1974-2009
Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England2009--
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Garsdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"GARSDON, a parish in Malmsbury [registration] district, Wilts; 2 miles ENE of Malmsbury, and 5½ WSW of Minety [railway] station. Post town: Malmsbury, under Chippenham. Acres: 1, 136. Real property, with Lea: £4,815. Rated property of [Garsdon] alone: £1,486. Population: 206. Houses: 39. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Lea, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £441. Patron: F. Gale, Esq. The church is modern."

Garsdon was a separate parish in the Malmesbury Hundred and the Malmesbury Rural District until 1934 when it was merged with other local villages as a parish named Lea and Cleverton.

Research Tips

Victoria County History - Wiltshire vol 14, pp89-95: Garsdon. British History Online. University of London.