Place:Fulton, Georgia, United States

source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fulton County is a county in the north-central portion of the U.S. state of Georgia. As of 2017 estimates, the population was 1,041,423, making it the state's most populous county and its only one with over 1 million inhabitants. Its county seat is Atlanta, the state capital. Approximately 90% of the City of Atlanta is located within Fulton County (the other 10% lies within DeKalb County). Fulton County is the principal county of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Fulton County is part of the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Contents

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Fulton County was created in 1853 from the western half of DeKalb County. It was named in honor of Hamilton Fulton, a railroad official who acted as surveyor for the Western and Atlantic Railroad and also as chief engineer of the state. After surveying the area that is now Fulton County, Fulton convinced state officials that a railroad, rather than a canal, should be constructed to connect Milledgeville, then the state capital, to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Building the railroad was a precursor of Fulton County's prominence as a major transportation center. Organized as settlement increased in the Piedmont section of upland Georgia, Fulton County grew rapidly after the American Civil War as Atlanta was rebuilt, becoming a center of railroad shipping, industry and business.

After the war, there was considerable violence against freedmen in the county. During the post-Reconstruction period, violence and the number of lynchings of blacks increased in the late 19th century, as whites exercised terrorism to re-establish and maintain white supremacy. Whites lynched 35 African Americans here from 1877-1950; most were killed around the turn of the 20th century. This was the highest total in the state. With a total of 589, Georgia was second to Mississippi in its total number of lynchings in this period.

In addition to individual lynchings, during the Atlanta Race Riot of 1906, whites killed at least 25 African Americans; the number may have been considerably higher. Two white persons died during the riot; one a woman who died of a heart attack. The violence affected black residential and business development in the city afterward, some of which has been maintained in county development. The Georgia legislature effectively completed disenfranchisement of African Americans in 1908 constitutional amendments that raised barriers to voter registration and voting, excluding them from the political system.

At the beginning of 1932, as an austerity measure to save money during the Great Depression, Fulton County annexed Milton County to the north and Campbell County to the southwest, to centralize administration. That resulted in the current long shape of the county along of the Chattahoochee River. On May 9 of that year, neighboring Cobb County ceded the city of Roswell and lands lying east of Willeo Creek to Fulton County so that it would be more contiguous with the lands ceded from Milton County.

In the second half of the 20th century, Atlanta and Fulton county became the location of numerous national and international headquarters for leading companies, attracting highly skilled employees from around the country. This led to the city and county becoming more cosmopolitan and diverse.

Timeline

Date Event Source
1853 County formed Source:Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources
1854 Court records recorded Source:Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources
1854 Land records recorded Source:Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources
1854 Marriage records recorded Source:Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources
1854 Probate records recorded Source:Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources
1860 First census Source:Population of States and Counties of the United States: 1790-1990
1940 No significant boundary changes after this year Source:Population of States and Counties of the United States: 1790-1990

Population History

source: Source:Population of States and Counties of the United States: 1790-1990
Census Year Population
1860 14,427
1870 33,446
1880 49,137
1890 84,655
1900 117,363
1910 177,733
1920 232,606
1930 318,587
1940 392,886
1950 473,572
1960 556,326
1970 607,592
1980 589,904
1990 648,951

Note: annexed Campbell and Milton in 1932.

Cemeteries

Cemeteries of Fulton County, Georgia, United States

Research Tips

External links

www.rootsweb.com/~gafulton/


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Fulton County, Georgia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.