Place:Durham St. Margaret, Durham, England

NameDurham St. Margaret
Alt namesDurham St. Margaret of Antiochsource: formal name for parish
Crossgatesource: settlement within Durham St. Margaret parish
Old Boroughsource: alternate name for Crossgate
TypeChapelry, Parish
Coordinates54.775°N 1.582°W
Located inDurham, England
See alsoDurham St. Oswald, Durham, Englandancient parish of which it was a chapelry until 1748
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Durham, Durham, Englandcity in which the parish was located
source: Family History Library Catalog

Durham St. Margaret is an ecclesiastical parish in the city of Durham, created in 1748 from a chapelry in Durham St. Oswald ancient parish. (Source: English Jurisdictions) It is located northwest of the city centre and includes the area of Crossgate.

From being a chapelry of the parish of St Oswald's, St Margaret's was made an independent parish in 1431, and St Margaret's Church promoted from a chapel of ease to a parish chuirch. The earliest parts of the church are Norman. The area of residence shrank considerably during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, but grew again rapidly during the nineteenth century.

St Margaret's Church, built in the 12th century, stands on a small bluff at the foot of Crossgate; its churchyard extends from South Street up to Margery Lane.


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Crossgate is a small area of housing that sits above North Road but below the Neville's Cross area in the city of Durham. It is predominantly occupied by students at Durham University who favour the area due to its proximity to the university departments in the Elvet and Palace Green areas of the city.

Crossgate is one of the oldest centres of the city of Durham. In the Middle Ages, there was a borough separate from the borough of Durham, called Crossgate or Old Borough, and comprising Crossgate itself, Allergate and South Street; it was more or less coterminous with the chapelry of St Margaret of Antioch. It was under the lordship of Durham Priory and had its own borough court, but had no market of its own. Crossgate was first joined to the main centre of Durham, where the markets were held, when Bishop Flambard built Framwellgate Bridge, about the year 1128.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Crossgate, County Durham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.