Place:Docking, Norfolk, England

Alt namesDochingesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 188
Dochinghesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 188
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.9°N 0.617°E
Located inNorfolk, England
See alsoSmithdon Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Docking Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district 1894-1974
King's Lynn and West Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Docking is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk and contains the highest point in the northwest of the county. It is a geographically large parish with an area of 25.79 km2 (9.96 sq mi). It had a population of 1,150 in 469 households at the 2001 census, rising to 1,200 at the 2011 census when the small parish of Barwick with less than 100 inhabitants was added to it. For the purposes of local government, it falls within the King's Lynn and West Norfolk.

Docking is close to the coastal resorts of Hunstanton, Heacham and Brancaster. Other surrounding villages include Bircham, Ringstead, Sedgeford, Stanhoe, Syderstone, and Burnham Market.

The small inland village of Docking can trace its origin back to Roman times. In the past it used to be known as "Dry Docking" as it had no water supply of its own. In the 1760s a well was sunk some 230 feet down which provided domestic water for the village at a farthing (1/4 of an old penny) per bucket. The use of this well continued until 1936 when water was eventually piped into the village.

Research Tips

  • has the following lists as of 2018 (UK or worldwide Ancestry membership or library access required). With the exception of the index to wills these files are browsible images of the original documents. The files are separated by type and broken down into time periods (i.e., "Baptism, Marriages, and Burials, 1535-1812" is more than one file). The general explanatory notes are worth reading for those unfamiliar with English parish records.
  • Index to wills proved in the Consistory Court of Norwich : and now preserved in the District Probate Registry at Norwich
  • Norfolk, England, Bishop's Transcripts, 1579-1935
  • Norfolk, England, Church of England Baptism, Marriages, and Burials, 1535-1812
  • Norfolk, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915
  • Norfolk, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1990
  • Norfolk, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1940
  • FindMyPast is another pay site with large collection of parish records. As of October 2018 they had 20 types of Norfolk records available to browse including Land Tax Records and Electoral Registers.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Docking, Norfolk. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.