Place:Courteenhall, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameCourteenhall
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.171°N 0.891°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoWymersley Hundred, Northamptonshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Hardingstone Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Northampton Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1935-1974
South Northamptonshire District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Courteenhall is a village 5 miles (8 km) south of the county town of Northampton, in the county of Northamptonshire, England, and about 66 miles (106 km) north of London. The population of the civil parish was 122 at the 2011 UK census.

The village has grown up around the Courteenhall Estate. The landscaped park covers about 370 acres (150 hectares), with formal gardens close to the house.

The estate was purchased from Richard Ouseley by Samuel Jones, the son of a London merchant, in 1647. Samuel was knighted in 1660, was High Sheriff of Northamptonshire for 1652–53 and died in 1673. His estates were inherited by his great-nephew Samuel Wake, a younger son of Sir William Wake, 3rd Baronet of Piddington. The Wake family is reputedly descended from Hereward the Wake, a Saxon hero of resistance to the Norman conquest of England. The park was designed in 1791 by Humphry Repton for Sir William Wake, 9th Baronet. The Hall, like the park, dates from 1791 and was built on a site selected by Repton and is by a little-known architect Samuel Saxon.

The estate is private property but may be viewed in the distance from Courteenhall village church. Although sheep graze over the grounds of the main park, they are kept out of the Hall's garden by a ha-ha. Courteenhall House is still occupied by the Wake family (Sir Hereward Wake, the 14th Baronet and Lady Julia. Their son Hereward Charles lives on the estate in the stable block).

Research Tips

These two maps show the boundaries of the individual civil parishes in the county in 1900 and in 1944. Comparing the two on a local level allows one to understand the alterations (should there be any) which occurred during the interim period which are noted in the text above.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Courteenahll. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.