Place:Coatham, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameCoatham
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates54.617°N 1.067°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1921)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
See alsoKirkleatham, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a chapelry
Langbaurgh East Wapentake, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
Redcar, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandurban district and civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1921
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Coatham is now a place in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England and is now a district of Redcar. In the 2011 UK census the ward population was 5,326.

Coatham began as a market village in the 14th century to the smaller adjacent fishing port of Redcar but as their populations grew from the 1850s, the dividing space narrowed. Though Coatham is now only a mile-wide district in the town of Redcar, the need for definition was strong enough to warrant the western boundary being marked by a fence which ran the length of West Dyke Road and West Terrace. Coatham comprises the remaining coastal land north of the railway line from West Dyke Road to Warrenby in the west.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coatham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"COATHAM, two hamlets and a chapelry in Kirk-Leatham parish, [North Riding of] Yorkshire. The hamlets are East and West-Coatham; they lie at the mouth of the Tees, 1 mile N of Redcar [railway] station, and 6 N by W of Guisborough; they carry on a fishery, and are frequented for sea-bathing; and they have a post office under Redcar. Population: 371.
"The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Population: 727. Houses: 149. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value: £152. Patron: A. Newcomen, Esq. Turner's free school was rebuilt here in 1869, at a cost of £4,000; and is in the Gothic style, with a tower."

In 1899 Coatham was made a civil parish from land which had previously been part of Kirkleatham. There were 906 houses in the 1901 UK census. From 1899 until 1921 it was part of Redcar Urban District. In 1921 it gained another 1871 acres from Kirkleatham and was immediately absorbed into the civil parish of Redcar. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

Research Tips

This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called wapentakes, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
  • GENUKI has a page on all three ridings of Yorkshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each.
These are based on a gazetteer dated 1835 and there may have been a number of alterations to the parish setup since then. However, it is worthwhile information for the pre civil registration era. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and the submitter is very firm about his copyright. This should not stop anyone from reading the material.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Yorkshire North Riding, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72.
  • Map of the North Riding divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • Map of North Riding divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
  • The above two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.
  • Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
  • In March 2018 Ancestry announced that its file entitled "Yorkshire, England: Church of England Parish Records, 1538-1873" has been expanded to include another 94 parishes (across the three ridings) and expected it to be expanded further during the year. The entries are taken from previously printed parish registers.
  • Kirkleatham is the chapter of the Victoria County History dealing with Kirkleatham parish.