Place:Bemerton, Wiltshire, England

Alt namesBemerton Heathsource: settlement in former parish
Lower Bemertonsource: settlement in former parish
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.073°N 1.816°W
Located inWiltshire, England     ( - 1934)
See alsoFugglestone St. Peter, Wiltshire, Englandparish in which it was a chapelry until 1894
Salisbury, Wiltshire, Englandcity which absorbed a large part of it in 1927
Quidhampton, Wiltshire, Englandparish into which the remainder was split in 1934
Wilton, Wiltshire, Englandmunicipal borough into which the remainder was split in 1934
Salisbury District, Wiltshire, England1974-2009
Wiltshire District, Wiltshire, England2009--
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bemerton, once a separate village to the west of Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, is now virtually a suburb of that city. The poet George Herbert (1593–1633) was rector of Fugglestone with Bemerton and is buried at Bemerton. Modern day Bemerton is split between the areas of Bemerton Heath and Lower Bemerton.

Until 1894 Bemerton was a chapelry of Fugglestone St Peter, but it was then established as a civil parish in its own right. In 1927 a large part of Bemerton was transferred to the borough of Salisbury, and in 1934 Bemerton parish was dissolved: most of its population was transferred to the newly created parish of Quidhampton, and the remainder to Wilton municipal borough.

Bemerton has three Church of England parish churches. St. Andrew's was originally Norman but was largely rebuilt later in the Middle Ages. St. John's is a Gothic Revival building designed by T.H. Wyatt and completed in 1861. St. Michael's was consecrated in 1957.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bemerton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BEMERTON, a chapelry in Fugglestone-St. Peter parish, Wilts; 1½ mile W by N of Salisbury [railway] station. Post Town: Salisbury. Rated property: £1,336. Population: 109. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Fugglestone, in the diocese of Salisbury. The old church had windows of decorated English, and a font of early English; and was restored by George Herbert, the poet.
"The present church was built in 1861; is in the transition style from first to second pointed; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with northeastern square tower, but presents a very irregular outline. George Herbert, who died in 1635; John Norris, the poet and metaphysician, who died in 1711; and Archdeacon Cox, the traveller and historian, who died in 1828, were rectors."

Research Tips