Place:Avon, Wiltshire, England

Watchers
NameAvon
TypeTything, Chapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates51.457°N 2.03°W
Located inWiltshire, England     ( - 1895)
See alsoChippenham Hundred, Wiltshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Chippenham Rural, Wiltshire, Englandrural district, 1894 - 1895
Christian Malford, Wiltshire, Englandparish in which it was a chapelry and tything until 1895
Kellaways, Wiltshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was formed in 1895
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Avon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"AVON, an extra-parochial tract in Chippenham [registration] district, Wilts; on the river Avon, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 3¼ miles NE of Chippenham. Acres: 156. Population: 20. Houses: 3."

A Vision of Britain through Time also states that Avon was a chapelry until the 16th century, a tything in the parish of Christian Malford until 1895 and a civil parish from 1866 until 1895. It was then abolished to form the civil parish of Kellaways.

Research Tips