Person:Flora Mosher (2)

Watchers
Flora Belle Mosher
b.28 AUG 1878 Round Lake Township
d.1 MAR 1953
Facts and Events
Name Flora Belle Mosher
Gender Female
Birth? 28 AUG 1878 Round Lake Township
Census? 1880 Round Lake Township, Jackson County, Round Lake, MN USAFlora Belle was 2 years old.
Death? 1 MAR 1953

The Round Lake Church Building History In March of 1882, the Rev. R.M. Adams and the Rev. H.P. Cory with ruling elders from Worthington, Minnesota (Mr. H.M. Palm and Mr. George B. Dayton (founder of Dayton's) organized the First Presbyterian Church under the direction of the Mankato Presbytery. The church was charged with 21 members: James Walker, Arianna Walker, Alice Northrup, Henry Fullwiler, Mary Fullwiler, William Mosher, Ada Mosher, Flora Mosher, John Mosher, Roy Mosher, Samuel Edwards, Ann Edwards, Stella Walker, Amelia Walker, Harmon Fullwiler, Lena Fullwiler, Lydia Freeman, Peter Hawthorn, R.I.Erskine and Blanche Erskine.

In 1895 the congregation decided to build a church building on the corner of Rohrer Street and Third Avenue on Lots 1 and two. The congregation began worship in their new building during its construction, using the floor joists as the first pews. A new basement and furnace were installed in 1920. The Ladies Aid purchased a 500 pound church bell. A new church organ was added on September 3, 1896.

On March 18, 1925 "new" pews were purchased from the Norwegian Lutheran Church southeast of Round Lake for $70.00. A new church chancel was added to the building in 1941. Another new organ, a Hammond Organ, was dedicated on July 12, 1953 and played by Mrs. Rose Carstenson, who had presented it to the church in memory of her husband, Curtis.

In 1957 the Session and Trustees elected a building committee: Henry Larson, Byron Coyer, Russell Anderson, Frank Thompson, Ivy Hanson and Mable Lundholm. They proposed the construction of a new church building on the southeast end of town but their recommendation was voted down by the congregation.

At a Special congregational Meeting on December 11, 1960, the following members were elected to serve on a Building Committee: Alvin Jacobsma, Helen Sather, Wilbert Block, Mabel Lundholm, Frances Mohns, Donals Mitchell, Frank Thompson, Lester Vogelaar, Robert Paulsen, and Henry Larsen.

On June 11, 1962, the old church building and its contents were sold at auction. Mr. Lyman Reed purchased the building and it still sits on the northeast edge of town.

On July 26, 1962, following a service of worship in the park, a ground breaking service was held for the construction of a new church building. The cornerstone was laid on Easter Sunday. The first worship service in the new building was held on June 2, 1963 and the new building was dedicated on November 8, 1963. Due to the many hours of volunteer labor donated, the final construction cost was $91,900.00.

The parking area in front of the church building was poured in 1980 when the street was paved. An Allen Organ was installed on June 28, 1988. An elevator was also installed in 1988 through the generosity of Glen Peterson.

Stained glass windows and the centennial window were installed in 1992. In March of 1997, the men of the church added sound proofing to the South and East walls of the church basement and in July of the same year the parking on the north side of the church building was paved.

Due to a bequest from the Harriet Sather estate the Session and Trustees undertook a major renovation of the church building. The front of the sanctuary was rearranged, the choir pews were moved and re-installed so that sfeel chairs would not longer block the church aisle. Friable asbestos was removed from the church building and the affected ceiling and wall surfaces were replaced . New lighting was installed in the sanctuary and in the church basement. Bathrooms were remodeled. A hot water booster and a new cabinet were added to the church kitchen. New stained glass windows were added on the Narthex. A new door, cement ramp, and railing was added to the north side of the White House to improve access. The cement garage on Third avenue was repaired. The replacement of the windows in the Sunday School rooms with insulated windows is being considered. Directing and contributing many hours to this ambitious project were Ruling elders: Reinard Bosma, Dennis Vandehoef, Jewel Garms, Kathy Sather, Doris Manitz, Arnold Meyer, Doug Knuth, Robert Widman; and Trustees Chairperson Jerry Wood, Greg Olson, Gordon Vogelaar, Larry Sather, Helen Walker, Gail Widman, Mark Garms, and Duane Voss.

Through September of 2002 $54,739.48 of the 4612,766.00 bequest has been expended in March 30, 2004 a much needed and well planned refurbishing of our church home.

Through September of 2002, $56,739.38 of the $6l,755.00 bequest has ben expended in a much needed and well planned refurbishing of our church home?

Records submitted, Rev. Robert D. Bartlett First Presbyterian Church of Rond Lake Minnesota

References
  1.   Family History Library Film # 1254624, in 1880 Census, USA
    Film # T9-0624, Page # 519B.