|Located in||Dorset, England ( - 1933)|
|See also||Coombs Ditch Hundred, Dorset, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Blandford Registration District, Dorset, England||registration district of which it was part|
|Blandford Rural, Dorset, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1933|
|Anderson, Dorset, England||neighbouring parish into which it was absorbed in 1933|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Winterborne-Tomson is a village located since 1974 in the administrative district of North Dorset in Dorset, England. The first name of "Winterborne" comes from the River Winterborne, which flows from west to east through the village. The river only flows overground during the winter, hence the name. To the west is Anderson and to the east is Winterborne-Zelston. The river flows through both these villages as well.
Winterborne-Tomson was a parish until 1933 when it was absorbed by the neighbouring parish of Anderson.
A sketchmap of the rural district can be viewed at Blandford Rural District.
Dorset Research Tips
One of the many maps available on the website A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Dorset at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. The internal boundaries on this map are the rural districts which are indicated in the "See Also" box for the place concerned (unless it is an urban parish).
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases. Some are linked to Ancestry.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Dorset, but it has left the 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes to UK Genealogy Archives.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date, but UK Genealogy Archives may prove more helpful.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts up to 1974
- excerpts from gazetteers of the late 19th century outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Dorset, England | Coombs Ditch Hundred, Dorset, England | Blandford Registration District, Dorset, England | Blandford Rural, Dorset, England | Anderson, Dorset, England | Winterborne-Tomson, Dorset, England