Place:Walcott, Lincolnshire, England

Watchers


NameWalcott
TypeUnknown
Located inLincolnshire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Walcott is a small village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England, about north from Billinghay and north-east from the town of Sleaford, Lincolnshire.


The Gilbertine Catley Priory of St Mary was founded between 1146 and 1154; and dissolved in 1538. No sign of the priory can now be seen, but the site is scheduled.

The parish church is a Grade II listed building of red brick dedicated to Saint Oswald and built in 1852. It was presumably named after a previous chapel at Walcott, dedicated to Saint Oswald, and given by King John to Spalding Priory, which formerly stood in the centre of the village and was pulled down around 1790.

As at 2010, Walcott has one public house, The Plough, and a primary school; the school caters for Walcott children and has study links with Martin village primary school away.

The countryside around Walcott is of agricultural use, with sheep farming and the growing of potatoes being prominent.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Walcott, Lincolnshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.