Tupper Lake is a town in the southwest corner of Franklin County, New York. The population was 5,971 at the 2010 census. The town contains a village called Tupper Lake. Until July 2004, the town was known as Altamont, not be confused with the village of Altamont in Albany County.
In 1850 the Pomeroy Lumber Company began a logging operation in the area. A clearing left by clear-cutting the forest by Raquette Pond became the site of the Village of Tupper Lake. In the 1890s, a large number of buildings were erected, but in 1899 a fire burned 169 of them to the ground. As the lumber business swelled, the Village of Faust became a railroad hub, and so the Village of Tupper Lake prospered.
In the 1940s the Village of Faust and the Village of Tupper Lake combined to become the Village of Tupper Lake. The former Village of Faust began where Main Street meets Demars Boulevard and continued west beyond the cemetery. The former Village of Faust is now known as "The Junction", still called to this day by the people of Tupper Lake. It was so named due to the junction of railroad lines located in Faust. The only reference left to the Town of Faust is the Faust Motel, located on Main Street. Of note the Faust Roundhouse (one of the largest buildings in the area at the time), was located behind Web Row and near the railroad station. It burned to the ground in the 1940s.
The Oval Wood Dish Corporation mill was located in the area between the Villages of Faust and Tupper Lake and was originally owned by the Sisson family of Potsdam, New York. The area encompassing the mill, and the houses and apartments built across from the mill for the workers was called "Sissonville". Through neglect the buildings eventually went to ruin and were demolished. The large smokestack bearing the letters "OWD" in the center of town still stands to this day as an icon of Tupper Lake's lumbered past.
The Town of Altamont was organized in 1890 from the Town of Waverly and was the last town organized in the county. In 1913, a part of St. Lawrence County was added to the Town of Altamont.
In an effort to avoid confusion with other "Altamonts" around the state and to strengthen ties with the Village of Tupper Lake, town councilors turned the "Town of Altamont" into the "Town of Tupper Lake." The name change took place on July 16, 2004.
As of 2013 logging remained a major industry in Tupper Lake but the winter season when the roads are frozen and can support heavy logging equipment was growing shorter due to global warming.