Place:Toller Porcorum, Dorset, England

Watchers


NameToller Porcorum
Alt namesToller-Porcorumsource: Family History Library Catalog
Tolresource: Domesday Book (1985) p 96
TypeVillage
Coordinates50.783°N 2.617°W
Located inDorset, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Toller Porcorum is a village and civil parish in West Dorset, England, situated in the Toller valley northwest of Dorchester. The village has a population of 292.

Like the other Toller villages of Toller Fratrum and Toller Whelme, the name was taken from the river, which is now known as the Hooke. The addition Porcorum means of the pigs in Latin; the village was in the past sometimes known as Swines Toller, but more often as Great Toller.

Toller Porcorum is also an ancient Anglican ecclesiastical parish. The church is dedicated to Saints Peter and Andrew and is remarkable for the drooping chancel [1].

From 1862 to 1975 the village had a railway station on the Bridport Railway.

The village pub, The Old Swan, was closed by the brewery some years ago and has not re-opened. Attempts by the brewery to obtain planning permission to demolish the pub and erect housing have been rejected by the local council. Requests by a local cooperative to re-open the pub have been turned down by the brewery.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Toller Porcorum. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.