Place:Terling, Essex, England

redirected from Place:Terling, Essex
Alt namesTerlingasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
Terlingassource: Domesday Book (1985) p 105
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.817°N 0.583°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBraintree Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Braintree (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Terling (pronounced Ter-ling or Tar-ling) is a village in the county of [[Place:Essex, England|Essex, England, between the town of Witham and the villages of Great Leighs and Hatfield Peverel. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. In 1991 Terling had a population of 741.

The parish was part of the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Braintree District in Essex.

Terling has an Anglican church dedicated to All Saints; the body of the church is medieval, restored in the 19th century, while the brick-built tower dates from 1732. The village's single public house, now closed, was called the Rayleigh Arms, Lord Rayleigh being the title of the head of the Strutt baronage who live in the manor house, Terling Place. The village comprises two main areas, Terling and Gambles Green.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Terling. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.