- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Taunton Deane is a local government district with borough status in Somerset, England. Its council is based in Taunton.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, by a merger of the Municipal Borough of Taunton, Wellington Urban District, Taunton Rural District, and Wellington Rural District.
Taunton Deane was granted borough status in 1975, perpetuating the mayoralty of Taunton.
The district was given the name of an alternate form of the Taunton Deane Hundred.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Taunton Deane., especially the sections "Settlements" and "Parishes".
Archives and Libraries
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. The Heritage Centre has an email address:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each Library in Somerset has its own web page. The index page to libraries leads to each of the libraries along with the facilities to be found there.
- The Somerset pages of GENUKI contain a great amount of useful data and references to other websites. Some of the web links are not up to date.
- The four family history societies covering parts of Somerset are: