Place:St Mary le Strand, Middlesex, England

Watchers
NameSt Mary le Strand
TypeParish
Coordinates51.512183°N 0.116765°W
Located inMiddlesex, England
Also located inWestminster, Middlesex, England    
London, England     (1889 - 1965)
Greater London, England     (1965 - present)
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

St Mary le Strand was an ancient parish in the metropolitan area of London, England. It was partly within the Liberty of the Savoy and partly within the Liberty of Westminster. It took its name from the church of St Mary and the Innocents. The church was demolished in 1548 during the construction of Somerset House and not rebuilt until 1723. The parish was de facto merged with the Precinct of the Savoy as "St Mary Savoy", but an attempt to merge the parishes de jure in the early 18th century failed. It was restored as a separate parish following the construction of the New Church in the Strand in 1723. The parish was grouped into the Strand Poor Law Union in 1836 and the Strand District in 1855. In 1889 it became part of the County of London and the Metropolitan Borough of Westminster from 1900. It was abolished as a civil parish in 1922.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St Mary le Strand (parish). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.