Place:St Katharine by the Tower, Middlesex, England

Watchers
NameSt Katharine by the Tower
Alt namesSt Katherine by the Towersource: Vision of Britain
St. Catherine-by-the-Towersource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish
Coordinates51.507193°N 0.071282°W
Located inMiddlesex, England
Also located inSt Botolph Without Aldgate, Middlesex, England     (1895 - )
London, England     (1889 - 1965)
Greater London, England     (1965 - present)
source: Family History Library Catalog


Research Tips

St Katharine by the Tower was an extra-parochial area based around a church and hospital, lying immediately east of the Tower of London, but (like the Tower) outside the City of London in the adjoining county of Middlesex. Much of the area was cleared in 1825 to make way for St Katharine's Dock. St Katharine by the Tower became a civil parish in 1866. It was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London in 1889. The parish was abolished in 1895, becoming part of the parish of St Botolph without Aldgate. This in turn became part of Stepney Metropolitan Borough in 1900, which was itself abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.