Springburn developed from a small rural hamlet at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Its industrial expansion began with the establishment of a chemical works by Charles Tennant on the newly opened Monkland Canal at nearby St. Rollox in 1799, which later became part of the United Alkali Company.
Later in the 19th century the construction of railway lines through the area led to the establishment of railway works and the village became a parish in its own right. The Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway first opened in 1831 to supply the St. Rollox Chemical Works and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was opened in 1842. Later, the City Union Line was extended to Springburn in 1871 and the Hamiltonhill Branch Line opened in 1894.
Initially located outside the Glasgow boundary in the Parish of Barony, the area was eventually absorbed by the City of Glasgow Corporation in 1872.
Springburn was Registration District 622-2 from 1855-1874 and part of Registration District 644-6 (St. Rolloz) from 1874-1900.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Springburn.
Refer to the Parish of Glasgow.