Place:St. Osyth, Essex, England

NameSt. Osyth
Alt namesCicesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
Citasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
St Osythsource: Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 682
St. Osythsource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.8°N 1.083°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoTendring Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Tendring (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
Contained Places
St. Osyth's Abbey
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

St. Osyth is a village and civil parish in northeast Essex. It is about 5 miles (8.0 km) west of Clacton-on-Sea, and about 12 miles (19.3 km) southeast of Colchester. It is located on the B1027 road and is named after Osyth, a saint and Anglian princess. The Essex dialect pronunciation is 'Toosey', which is still in use locally for the name of the village.

The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St Osyth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.