Place:O'Briensbridge, County Clare, Republic of Ireland

Watchers


NameO'Briensbridge
Alt namesClonlarasource: Family History Library Catalog
Doonass and Truaghsource: Family History Library Catalog
Droichead Uí Bhriainsource: Wikipedia
O'Briensbridgesource: WeRelate abbreviation
TypeParish
Coordinates52.74°N 8.57°W
Located inCounty Clare, Republic of Ireland
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

O'Brien's Bridge or O'Briensbridge is a village in east County Clare, Ireland, on the west bank of the River Shannon. The first bridge across the river here was built in 1506 by Turlough O'Brien, First Earl of Thomond and his brother, the Bishop of Killaloe.


This 16th-century bridge was replaced or rebuilt in around 1750. Five of the arches on the western side of the bridge date from this period. Six arches on the eastern side were replaced by the Shannon Commissioners in 1842. The first arch on the western side was replaced by the present navigation arch when the Shannon Scheme was built downstream in 1925-29.

At the eastern end of today's 12-arch bridge lies the village of Montpelier in County Limerick.

The ancient river-crossing here is believed to be identical with Áth Caille (meaning "Ford of the Wood"): one of the three fords mentioned in the Triads of Ireland, the others being Áth Clíath (Dublin) and Áth Lúain (Athlone).

The local soccer club is Bridge Celtic AFC, which was formed in 1963 and currently plays in the Clare Soccer League. The club won the Clare Premier title in 2006/07, for the first time in 28 years.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at O'Briensbridge. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.