Place:Mistley, Essex, England

NameMistley
Alt namesMittesleasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 103
Mistley Thornsource: A Vision of Britain Through Time
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates51.944°N 1.081°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoTendring Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Tendring (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Mistley is a large village and civil parish in the Tendring district of northeast Essex, England. It is around 11 miles northeast of Colchester and is east of, and almost contiguous with, Manningtree. The parish consists of Mistley and New Mistley, both lying beside the Stour Estuary, and Mistley Heath a kilometre to the south. Mistley railway station serves Mistley on the Mayflower Line.

The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain Through Time provides the following description of Mistley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MISTLEY, a village and a parish in Tendring [registration] district, Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, and on the Manningtree and Harwich railway, at the junction of the line to Walton-on-the-Naze, and at the N boundary of the county, ¾ of a mile ESE of Manningtree; was formerly called Mistley-Thorn; commands extensive and beautiful views along the Stour and into Suffolk; is a seat of petty-sessions; carries on considerable commerce in corn, malt, and coals, from a good quay, which was much extended in 1849; and has a post office under Manningtree, and a railway station with telegraph.
"The parish comprises 2,115 acres. Real property: £7,565; of which £52 are in gas-works. Population: 1,539. Houses: 342. The manor belonged, at Domesday, to Henry de Ramis; and passed to the Rainsforths, the Baynings, and others. Mistley Hall belonged to the De Veres, passed to the Rigbys, and to Lord Pitt Rivers; was sold, with the estate around it, in 1845; and was then taken down, to make way for extensive building operations. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Bradfield, in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £916. Patron: the Rev. Dr. Hayne. The church was built, on a spot about a mile NW of the previous church, in 1778. Remains of the previous church, and the burying-ground connected with it, still exist. There are a national school and alms houses."

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Mistley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!