Matching is a village and civil parish in the Epping Forest district of Essex, England centred in countryside 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Harlow's modern town centre and 2 miles (3.2 km) from the Old Harlow/Harlow Mills area of the town. The terrain is elevated and London is centred 21.7 miles (34.9 km) to the southwest.
The parish was part of the Epping Rural District from 1894 until 1955, the Epping and Ongar Rural District from 1955 to 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Epping Forest District of Essex.
A Vision of Britain through Time states that in April 1955 Matching Civil Parish (area: 1361 acres) was enlarged by the abolition of Harlow Civil Parish. As this is also the date of the establishment of Harlow New Town, this alteration is much more apt to be the other way round.