Lewistown (also Lewis Town or Lewiston) is a census-designated place in central Washington Township, Logan County, Ohio, United States. Until the 1829 Treaty of Lewistown, the community was the site of a Shawnee settlement. It said to have been named in honor of “Captain” John Lewis, a Shawnee leader. Nearby Indian Lake was once known as the Lewistown Reservoir, after this settlement. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 43333. The population of the ZCTA for ZIP code 43333 was 693 at the 2000 census.
The area around Lewistown was populated by several Native American tribes resettled as a result of the Treaty of Fort Meigs. This treaty, signed on September 29, 1817 also provided for the University of Michigan, as well as other grants.
In the 1820s Lewistown was a village primarily inhabited by Seneca and Shawnee people. It was also the eastern point in a reservation for these groups that stretched westward to the headwaters of Loramie Creek.
During the residence of the Indians in Washington Township, as early as 1820, only few white men lived in the area. “They were doubtless squatters, and their stay brief, as no one knows anything of their subsequent history. In the summer of 1832, immediately following the departure of the Indians, a few white families came into the township and began settlement.” One of the first permanent settlers was Henry Hanford, a native of Connecticut. Till 1835 Hanford purchased of land in and around Lewistown.
Daniel Conley, “the pioneer shoemaker in the place”, and Hanford's brother-in-law built the first frame house in the “village”. Later Henry Hanford opened a general store and became the first postmaster of Lewistown. Mail was delivered once a week. A semiweekly hack line runed from Bellefontaine to Anna Station, via Lewistown. In 1835 a mill was erected, followed by a steam sawmill. In 1840, a “tavern” (actually more of an inn) began operation in the community. A distillery followed in 1862, but was confiscated by the government when it failed to make tax returns. Till 1880 a tannery concluded the industries of the township.