Since 1974 Langton has been a village and civil parish in the Ryedale District of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated 3 miles (5 km) south from the market town of Malton. The population at the 2011 UK census was less than 100. Details are included with the neighbouring civil parish of Birdsall, North Yorkshire.
The village was historically the seat of the Northcliffe family. Their former home, Langton Hall, now owned by their descendants, the Howard-Vyse family, is a Grade II listed building.
In 1823 the population was 280. Occupations included five farmers, two grocers, a tailor & draper, a butcher, a shoemaker, a schoolmaster, a parish constable, and the landlord of Horse Shoes public house who was also a blacksmith. The parish church, dedicated to St Andrew, and the parish living was under the patronage of the King. (Source: Baines, Edward (1823): History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York)
Langton was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Langton and its township of Kennythorpe became civil parishes. In 1894 they each became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire. Since 1974 Langton has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.