|Alt names||Lanton||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 307|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which the parish was situated|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is now located|
|Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Langton is a village and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated south of Norton-on-Derwent. Langton Hall was the home of Woodleigh School, an independent preparatory school founded in 1929 by the educationalist Arthur England, from 1946 until the school's closure in 2012. There is also a small state primary school, Langton Community School with around 80 pupils.
The village was historically the seat of the Norcliffe family. Their former home, Langton Hall, now owned by their descendants, the Howard-Vyse family, and leased to Woodleigh School until 2012, is a Grade II listed building.
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Langton was located in Norton Rural District. Historically, it was an ecclesiastical parish in the Buckrose Wapentake.