Lancaster is a town in Erie County, New York, USA. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 41,604 at the 2010 census. The Town of Lancaster has a village also called Lancaster. Both town and village are east of Buffalo.
The current Town Supervisor is Dino Fudoli.
In 1803, the Holland Land Company sold its first plot of land in the future town. The Town of Lancaster was formed from the Town of Clarence, New York in 1833. The town was named after Lancaster, Massachusetts, but the reason for applying this name is not known. Lancaster, however, was originally called Cayuga Creek. Later it incorporated and renamed itself to become what we now know as Lancaster.
Lancaster contains the oldest stone structure in Erie County, the Warren Hull House. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. The town also contains the oldest wooden structure in Erie County, known as the Gipple cabin. The cabin is located on private land in Southeast corner of the intersection of Wehrle Dr. and Harris Hill Rd. The Lancaster District School No. 6 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
In 1857, part of the town was taken to form the Town of Elma.
Beginning in early 1990s, the town entered a period of rapid growth. In 2003, the town and village police departments merged. Additions to the middle school and the William Street School were finished in 2005.
Lancaster High School is the largest school in both school population and square feet in Erie County. With over 2,000 students, the building was expanded twice. First in 1970 and in 2000, a field house was added. In 2003, the high school opened up a new wing.
Some of the biggest events Lancaster has to offer are held in the Village of Lancaster. They are the Fourth of July Parade, and the Taste of Lancaster, a restaurant festival and charity fundraiser. The Lancaster/Depew high school football game is held in October. The game dates back to 1919.
The small town identity which Lancaster once held is now changing because of the rapid town growth, a rarity in a county and region that has seen rapid population decline.