Lake George is a town in Warren County, New York, USA. The population was 3,578 at the 2000 census. The town is named after the lake, Lake George. Within the town is a village also named Lake George. The town is part of the Glens Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The lake was discovered by Father Isaac Jogues in August 1642. He was later captured by Mohawks, escaped, and returned home to France. In 1646, he was sent on a political mission to the Iroquois to propose a treaty of peace, and at that point named the lake "Lac du Saint Sacrement" (The Lake of the Holy Sacrament).
In 1755, the lake was renamed "Lake George" by General Johnson in honor of King George II.
Lake George was also the site of Fort William Henry, named in honor of Prince William Henry, grandson of King George II, by General Johnson. The fort, its surrender to Marquis de Montcalm after a six-day siege by the French and Indians, and the following massacre all in 1757 were used by James Fenimore Cooper as the background for his famous novel The Last of the Mohicans. The fort was reconstructed and opened to the public as a museum in 1953.
The town is also home to Wiawaka, a historic retreat center that was founded in 1903 for female textile workers from Troy but operates as a nonprofit for everyone today.
The FORWARD shipwreck site (motor launch), Royal C. Peabody Estate, Wiawaka Bateaux Site, and Wiawaka Holiday House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Land Tortoise (radeau) Shipwreck Site and Owl's Nest are National Historic Landmarks. The Lake George Battlefield Park Historic District was listed in 2011.