Place:Knodishall, Suffolk, England

Alt namesKnoddishallsource: Family History Library Catalog
Knodishall-cum-Buxlowsource: Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.2°N 1.55°E
Located inSuffolk, England
See alsoBlything Hundred, Suffolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Blything Rural, Suffolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1934
Suffolk Coastal District, Suffolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Knodishall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"KNODDISHALL, a village and a parish in Blything [registration] district, Suffolk. The village stands 1½ mile W of Leiston [railway] station, and 3 ESE of Saxmundham; and has a post office under Saxmundham. The parish contains also the village of Coldfair-Green, and the quondam parish of Buxlow; and is sometimes called Knodishall-cum-Buxlow. Acres: 1,143. Real property: £3,173. Population: 442. Houses: 100. The property is divided among a few. There are clay and sand pits. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Buxlow, in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £486. Patron: T. Ayton, Esq. The church is Norman, has a flint tower, was recently repaired, and stands on a hill."
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Knodishall is a village in Suffolk, England. The village is located 3.5 miles (6 km) southeast of Saxmundham and 1 mile (2 km) southwest of Leiston, its current post town. Most of the village is now in Coldfair Green (redirected here), with only a few houses remaining in the original village by the parish church of St Lawrence. Buxlow has also been redirected here.

It would appear that Knodishall was spelled Knoddishall in the nineteenth century. Its population was 852 in the 2011 UK census and it has been part of the Suffolk Coastal District since 1974.

Research Tips