Place:Michael, Isle of Man

Watchers


NameMichael
Alt namesKirk-Michaelsource: Family History Library Catalog
Michaelchurchsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish
Coordinates54.283°N 4.583°W
Located inIsle of Man     (1000 - )
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Michael Sheading is a sheading (comprising the parishes of Jurby and Ballaugh, and Michael District) in the Isle of Man and has, according to the 2006 census, 1,640 residents (2001 census: 1,431). It is a mainly agricultural area on the west coast of the island. It is also a House of Keys constituency. Its MHK has been David Cannan since 1982.

The remainder of this section is about Kirk Michael Village and the District of Michael.

Michael District is a subdivision of Michael Sheading. It was formed in 1989 by the amalgamation of two local authority areas, Michael Village (a small area of around containing the village of Kirk Michael) and Michael Parish (a much larger rural area surrounding it).

Michael District stretches from the Irish Sea to the west, inland to Druidale to the east and from Orrisdale in the north to Glen Cam in the south. The main road between the towns of Peel and Ramsey, to the north and east, joins the Isle of Man TT course coming from St John's in Kirk Michael village.

The district contains a few settlements; the main village is Kirk Michael. There is a coastal strip of agricultural land, and the remainder of the parish consists of moorland, of which the highest points are Slieau Freoghane - , Sartfell - , Slieau Curn - and Slieau Dhoo - (together known as the Michael Hills). Cronk Urleigh is a small hillock near Kirk Michael which until 1428 was the site of the Tynwald Courts.

The name of the village of is derived from the Gaelic 'Kirk' (translated as 'Church') of Michael and the parish church of St Michael in Kirk Michael village contains a large collection of Manx Norse crosses. The village is served by several small local shops, a primary school and a public house (The Mitre Hotel). The Mitre Hotel is, itself, named in connection with Bishop's Court (the Mitre being a Bishops headgear) and was once patronised by Fletcher Christian ([[Wikipedia:'Mutiny on the Bounty'|'Mutiny on the Bounty']] - 'Christian' being a popular Manx surname and consequently Fletcher Christian himself having Manx ancestry). Regular (though infrequent) bus services run to the towns of Ramsey, Peel and Douglas. Local areas of beauty include Glen Wyllin village and Glen Wyllin itself (the Glen was once the site of a trout farm but the farm was lost due to coastal erosion). Glen Wyllin is now the site of a seasonal camp site. The main road running through Kirk Michael also forms part of the Isle of Man TT road race track and has been home to several TT competitors such as the team of Dave Molyneux (sidecar driver), Karl Ellison (sidecar passenger) and Lee Millhouse (support).

Bishop's Court, the former residence of the Bishop of Sodor and Man but now a private residence, is located to the north of Kirk Michael village. The grounds and chapel of Bishop's Court are opened periodically to the public. Bishop's Court Glen, across the TT course, was once the private garden of the Bishop. The glen includes an artificial mound called Mount Aeolus, which resembles Tynwald Hill. Until 1987 the mound had two cannon on top. The mound was built under Bishop Mark Hildesley to commemorate the victory of Captain Elliot over the French privateer François Thurot off the coast near Ramsey in 1760.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Michael District. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.