Hague is a town in northeastern Warren County, New York, United States located on the scenic Lake George. It is part of the Glens Falls Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 854 at the 2000 census. The town was named after the city The Hague in the Netherlands.
In 1757, during the French and Indian War, Sabbath Day Point was used as an encampment and staging area for the French Army and nearly two thousand Ottawa Indians in an expedition to capture the British Fort William Henry at the southern end of Lake George. While at the Sabbath Day Point camp, they conducted an ambush of a group of British soldiers and captured many. Later at the Sabbath Day Point base camp, the Indians cannibilized some of the captured British prisoners.
Sabbath Day Point was used a landing place in 1758 for British armies en route to attack the French at Fort Carillion and again in 1759 when General Jeffery Amherst finally succeeded in capturing Fort Carillon. It was then renamed Fort Ticonderoga.
During the American Revolution, Benjamin Franklin twice encamped there traveling to and from Canada as an emissary of the Continental Congress in an unsuccessful attempt to have Canada join the Colonies in the revolution. He was Postmaster General and in this capacity, he conducted temporary postal processing functions on each of his stays at Sabbath Day Point.
The town was first settled around 1796. The Town of Hague was originally part of the Town of Bolton and was created in 1807 as the Town of Rochester. In 1808 it changed its name to Hague.