Place:Granton, Midlothian, Scotland

Watchers
NameGranton
TypeSuburb
Coordinates55.967°N 3.217°W
Located inMidlothian, Scotland     (1920 - 1975)
See alsoCramond, Midlothian, Scotlandparish in which Granton was located until 1920
Lothian, Scotland|regional administration 1975-1996
City of Edinburgh, Scotlandunitary council area since 1996
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


Granton is a suburb of Edinburgh, located 2½ miles (4 km) to the north of the city centre. Situated on the Firth of Forth, it is a seaport with a harbour built in 1836 on a property owned by Walter, 5th Duke of Buccleuch (1806-84) and designed by the engineer Robert Stevenson.

The world's first train-ferry, The Leviathan, operating between Granton and Burntisland from 1850, linking Midlothian directly with the Kingdom (or county) of Fife on the opposite side of the Firth. The train ferry required a complicated series of ramps to load and unload the freight carriages and to cope with the varying tides of the Firth.

The Forth Railway Bridge, opened in 1890, took some of the traffic, but car and passenger traffic continued to use the ferry until the Forth Road Bridge opened in 1964.

Granton harbour also housed a large fishing fleet.

Research Tips

Refer to Cramond Parish and Edinburgh.

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!