Place:Rock, Worcestershire, England

TypeVillage, Parish
Coordinates52.3387°N 2.3894°W
Located inWorcestershire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Worcestershire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoDoddingtree (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
Rock Rural, Worcestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1933
Kidderminster Rural, Worcestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1933-1974
Wyre Forest District, Hereford and Worcester, Englanddistrict municipality into which it was transferred in 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Rock is a village and civil parish now located in the Wyre Forest District of Worcestershire, England, which lies south-west of Bewdley. It had a population of 2,366 in 2001.

Rock was in the lower division of Doddingtree Hundred. It is a geographically large civil parish, including various settlements including Far Forest.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rock from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"ROCK, a parish in the [registration] district of Cleobury-Mortimer and county of Worcester; 3½ miles S E of Cleobury-Mortimer [railway] station, and 4½ S W of Bewdley. It includes the village of Heightington, the constable wicks of Alton, Lower Lindon, Upper Lindon, Hollin-with-Stilton, Rock-with-Sneade, and Moor-with-Conningswick, and part of the chapelry of Far-Forest; and has a post-office under Bewdley. Acres: 7,754. Real property: £9,140; of which £166 are in mines. Population: 1,379. Houses: 318. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £1,110.* Patron: Mrs. Reiss. The church is mainly Norman, partly of the 15th century; and was recently restored. A chapel of ease is at Heighington; Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels are at Buckeridge; and a Wesleyan chapel is at Callow-Hill. There are two endowed schools with £10 a year, and alms-houses with £20."

Research Tips

  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
  • A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 4 edited by William Page and J W Willis-Bund covers the city of Worcester, as well as parishes in the hundreds of Pershore and Doddingtree, in the south and west of the county. These include the towns of Pershore, Great Malvern and Hanley Castle. (Victoria County History - Worcestershire. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1924, and available free online from British History Online)
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Rock, Worcestershire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.