Place:Dunblane, Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland

Watchers


NameDunblane
TypeTown
Coordinates56.2°N 3.983°W
Located inDunblane, Perthshire, Scotland
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Dunblane is a small cathedral town and former burgh north of Stirling in the Stirling council area of Scotland. The town is situated off the A9 road which has been bypassed since 1991, on the way north to Perth. Its main landmark is Dunblane Cathedral and the Allan Water runs through the town centre, with the Cathedral and the High Street on the east side. Dunblane had a population of 7,911 at the 2001 census, although this was estimated to have grown to 8,840 by 2006. The civil parish of Dunblane and Lecropt had a population of 8,863 in 2001.

The town is served by Dunblane railway station.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The name Dunblane is traditionally believed to mean "fort of Blane". This early saint (Old Irish Bláán) flourished probably in the late 6th century. His main seat was Kingarth on the Isle of Bute. He or his followers may have founded a church at Dunblane, or the cult of Bláán may have come there with settlers from what is now Argyll in later centuries. However, documentary information from this period is difficult to verify. The spelling of Dunblane varies wildly between these documents, casting some doubt as to the actual derivation from the Gaelic.

The earliest evidence for Christianity on the site are two cross-slabs of the 10th to 11th centuries which are preserved in the cathedral. Incorporated into the later medieval building, but originally free-standing, is an 11th-century bell-tower, whose height was increased in the 15th century. The nave and aisleless choir are 13th century. Dunblane did not have a rich or extensive medieval diocese (37 parishes), and the cathedral is relatively modest in scale, but its refined architecture is much admired, as is its setting overlooking the valley of the Allan Water. After the Reformation, the nave of the cathedral was abandoned and soon became roofless and used for burials. The choir was retained as the parish church. The nave was re-roofed and the Cathedral provided with new furnishings by Robert Rowand Anderson between 1889 and 1893. During the boom years of the Hydropathy movement in the 19th century, Dunblane was the location of a successful hydropathic establishment (see photo below).

Dunblane is split into two Church of Scotland parishes: the Cathedral and St Blane's Church. Dunblane Cathedral is remarkable in having retained more of its late-medieval choir stalls than any other Scottish church building (except King's College Chapel, Aberdeen), and also is noted for its organ. Further fragments of medieval woodwork from the Cathedral are displayed in the town's museum, formerly the Cathedral Museum, situated nearby. Though still used as a parish church, the building is in the care of Historic Scotland. To the south of the cathedral are some stone vaults of medieval origin, which are the only remaining fragment of the bishop's palace. Adjacent to the Cathedral, Scottish Churches House was (from the 1960s until its closure in 2011) a centre for ecumenical study and the former headquarters for Action of Churches Together in Scotland.

The town was a royal burgh and part of Perthshire until the 1975 abolition of Scottish counties. Dunblane refers to itself as a city, due to the presence of Dunblane Cathedral. However this status was never officially recognised.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Dunblane. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.