DeWitt is a town in Onondaga County, New York, USA. As of the 2010 census, the town population was 25,838. The town is named after Major Moses DeWitt, a judge and soldier. It is a suburb of Syracuse, bordering the city on its east side. The town is also the site of most of the campus and all of the academic buildings of Le Moyne College.
DeWitt was part of the Central New York Military Tract. The first settlers arrived around 1789.
The original Erie Canal progressed through the town in 1825. DeWitt was formed in 1835 from the Town of Manlius and was named in honor of Moses DeWitt, a Major in the militia, judge of the county courts and one of the first settlers of the county.