Place:Coates, Cambridgeshire, England

Watchers


NameCoates
TypeVillage
Coordinates52.56°N 0.07°W
Located inCambridgeshire, England

The village of Coates is located 2½ miles east of Whittlesey. The village was subject to an Enclosure Act in 1840.

The Reverend Joseph Russell Little (b. 1832) in his memoires describes Coates as follows:

"Coates is a large village surrounding a wide green, whereon many a flock of nibbling geese did stray... The cottagers also collectively kept a herd of cows, donkeys, &c."
"Coates was a great reservior of farm labour, and many of the labourers, whose work lay at a distance from their homes, kept a donkey... and rode or drove their little carts afield; in harvest whole families were thus transported for the day to the field of operations."

Churches

There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the North Green, dating from 1833. The Anglican church is nearby, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, built in 1840. The parish registers begin in 1850.


Research Tips

For CMB prior to 1850, see in particular the parish registers of St Mary's and St Andrew's Churches, Whittlesey.