Place:Chardstock, Devon, England

Watchers
NameChardstock
Alt namesCerdestochesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 78
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates50.833°N 2.983°W
Located inDevon, England     (1896 - )
Also located inDorset, England     ( - 1896)
See alsoBeaminster Hundred, Dorset, Englandhundred of which it was a part
Axminster Rural, Devon, Englandrural district in which the parish was located 1894-1974
East Devon District, Devon, Englandcovering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


UK Genealogy Archives provide the following transcription from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

"Chardstock, a village and a parish in Dorsetshire. The village stands on the river Kit, a tributary of the Axe, near the Yeovil and Exeter railway, between the Chard Road and Axminster stations, 3 miles SSW of Chard, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 5362; population, 1075. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury; gross value, £346 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1864."

UK Genealogy Archives also states that the parish was transferred from Dorset to Devon, England in 1896. This is confirmed by A Vision of Britain through Time which states that it was in Axminster Rural District in Devon, having previously been in Beaminster Hundred.

Chardstock All-Saints was a chapelry and hamlet within the parish.

Registration Districts

Despite being located in Dorest, Chardstock was part of Axminster Registration District between 1837 and 1896.


Research Tips