Chapel St. Leonards is a village and civil parish in the East Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated 5 miles (8 km) north from the resort of Skegness. The modern ward of Chapel St. Leonards stretches west to Hogsthorpe and had a total 2011 UK census population of 4,684.
Chapel and church
The name of the village derives from a chapel at Mumby dedicated to St. Leonard; the village history is tied to that of Mumby, both at one time being part of the same ecclesiastical parish.
The village Anglican church, also dedicated to St. Leonard, was rebuilt in 1572 after a flood, and again rebuilt in 1794 on a smaller scale. There was further rebuilding in 1866 and in 1901 when the church was lengthened and the red-tiled tower, unique in Lincolnshire, was added. In 1924 the chapel was again enlarged and lengthened, and a new east window and reredos added. The present church holds parish registers dating from 1665, although bishop's transcripts go back as far as 1568.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.