Place:Blakedown, Worcestershire, England

Watchers


NameBlakedown
TypeUnknown
Located inWorcestershire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Blakedown is a village in the Wyre Forest District in the north of the county of Worcestershire, England. Due to its road and rail links it serves mainly as a dormitory village for Kidderminster, and the cities of Birmingham and Worcester. Originally part of Hagley Parish, it was transferred in 1888 to the small adjacent parish of Churchill, which became Churchill and Blakedown.

Much of Blakedown was originally an area of common land, enclosed in the 19th century. However Harborough Hall, which once belonged to the family of William Shenstone the poet, is probably the successor of a house that goes back to Medieval times.

The main road that runs through the village was part of the turnpike road from Birmingham to Kidderminster. The turnpike trust was established in 1753.

Blakedown railway station was opened in 1852 and originally called Churchill station). Later it was called Churchill and Blakedown before adopting its current name.

The village has a small church, St. James the Great, and a Church of England primary school. Blakedown also includes two local pubs, and a village shop that offers a range of fresh foods and a newspaper delivery service.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Blakedown. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.