Barton-le-Clay is a small town and a civil parish located in Bedfordshire, England. The town has existed since at least 1066 and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Until quite recently it was known as Barton in the Clay.
The Domesday Book
Barton-Le-Clay Domesday Book entry, taken from 210d 2.
In FLITT Hundred M. The Abbot also holds Barton (in-the-clay). It answers for 11 hides. Land for 12 ploughs. In lordship 3 hides; 2 ploughs there; a third possible. 20 villagers have 9 ploughs. 7 smallholders and 6 slaves. 1 mill, 2s, meadow for 6 ploughs; woodland, 200 pigs. In total, value £10; the same when acquired; before 1066 £12. This manor always lay in (the lands of) St Benedict's Church. With this manor the Abbot claims against Nigel of Aubigny and Walter the Fleming of meadow which lay there before 1066, but John of Les Roches dispossessed him wrongfully, and this the Hundred testifies.