- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: A second settlement named Appledore is a small village near Uffculme in Mid Devon, about 7 miles (11 kilometres) east of Tiverton.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Appledore is a village at the mouth of the River Torridge, about 6 miles (10 km) west of Barnstaple and about 3 miles (5 km) north of Bideford in the county of Devon, England. It is home to Appledore Shipbuilders, a lifeboat slipway and Hocking's Ice Cream, a brand of ice cream only sold in North Devon.
Appledore was situated in Northam parish and in Northam Urban District from 1894 until 1974. It is now part of the Torridge district municipality. It had a population of just over 2,100 in 2001.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Appledore from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "APPLEDORE, a seaport village and a chapelry in Northam parish, Devon. The village stands on the bay at the mouths of the rivers Torridge and Taw, 3 miles N of Bideford [railway] station; and has a head post office, designated Appledore, North Devon. It has pleasant environs, a fine bathing-beach, and good accommodation for strangers; so that it has become an esteemed watering place. It is a sub-port to Bideford; and a number of its inhabitants are engaged in the coasting trade and in dockyards.
- "Hubba, the Dane, landed here in the time of King Alfred, but was taken in the neighbourhood, and put to death. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Population: 2,210. Houses: 513. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £150. Patron: the Vicar of Northam. The church is a neat edifice; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Appledore, Torridge.