|Type||Village, Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|West Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Huddersfield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||borough in which it was located 1868-1974|
|Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England||municipal district covering the area since 1974|
|Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was situated.|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Almondbury is a village south-east of Huddersfield town centre in West Yorkshire, England. The population of Almondbury in 2001 was 7,368
Almondbury appears in the Domesday Book as "Almondeberie". After the Norman Conquest, the land around the village was held by the powerful De Lacy family, who gave their name to De Lacy Avenue.
For 300 years up until the 17th century, the village's Monday Market was the most important in the area. Almondbury was the hub of parish activity and in its early history was a more important centre than the town of Huddersfield. The villages of Linthwaite, Lockwood, Honley, Holmfirth and Meltham were all part of the Almondbury parish area.
The village is close to Castle Hill, Huddersfield's most prominent landmark. Almondbury has several notable buildings including the 16th-century Wormald's Hall, now the village Conservative club, and All Hallows Church.
Almondbury has been part of Huddersfield since 1868.
GENUKI provides a description of the ecclesiastical parish of Almondbury from a gazetteer from the 1820s. It was in the Agbrigg division of the Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake.