Paisley Abbey is a former Cluniac monastery, and current Church of Scotland parish kirk, located on the east bank of the White Cart Water in the centre of the town of Paisley, Renfrewshire, in west central Scotland.
Paisley Abbey was considered as a specific parish in the Old Parish Registers and continued to be used as a civil registration area for births, marriages and deaths after 1855.
"PAISLEY, town and parishes in upper ward of Renfrewshire. ..... The parishes are Abbey, High, Low and Middle. The Abbey parish includes part of the town, but extends far beyond it, and has been separately noticed. The other three parishes lie wholly in the town and comprise respectively 259, 94, and 517 acres. Pop. 17,914, and 7095, and 13,117."
Source: The Gazetteer of Scotland, by Rev. John Wilson, 1882, and reproduced online by GENUKI Scotland