Facts and Events
Biography of Sophia Cowan
Little is known of the early records of Sophia, however a record of her marriage to "Louis" White (records of Gerald Post reflect she married "Andrew") was found in Blount County, Alabama recording the marriage of Sophia C. J. Cowan to Louis White on 17 Sept 1828. An analysis of census records show the ages to match her date of birth. This raises the possibility that Martha was previously married to a Cowan, and Sophia was not a true daughter of John Richey, or that Sophia was previously married, and Louis White was her second marriage. Careful analysis of Blount and Jefferson County records turned up no marriage record for Sophia Richey and Andrew White, which is the name referred to in other family histories (re: Gerald Post). It should also be noted that one of John Richey's daughters, Mary Alice Richey used the initial "C" when she signed her name to a probate document from her father's probate records in Red River County, 11 Nov 1844. Some family researchers have reflected her name in family records as Mary Alise Cowan Richey. Sophia remained in Blount County, Alabama where they are shown on census records until her death. She wrote a letter to James Selen Stout dated 29 Oct 1871 asking for a portion of her mother's estate and it is signed "Sophia C. J. White, Blount Springs, Alabama." Based on this letter, she was clearly the daughter of Martha M. Richey, her maiden name still unknown for sure.
Marriage: Sophia C J Cowan and Lewis White
Letter to Selen Stout regarding mother's estate p 1, 3
Letter to Selen Stout regarding mother's estate p 2, 4
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Sophia Charletia Richey, in Post, Gerald Virtrue, and 1904-1977. Alive and Good to Know, 386 pps: Dedicated to Family and Comunity Historians and to everyone who is alive and good to know. (Dallas, Texas 75234: APSWIN, Inc. 14418 Hague, Dallas, Texas 75234, 1988), p. 288, 29 May 1806.
Sophia is listed as Sophia Charletia Richey
- ↑ J. J. Scheffelin Family Group Sheet, ca. 1975.
Children of John and Martha Richey listed with birth dates. See narrative on J J Scheffelin Family Group Sheet.
John and Martha Richey Children
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 DeKalb, Alabama, United States. 1850 U.S. Census Population Schedule, M432_2, p99B.
Lewis White, Subdivision 18, b abt 1806, NC.
Lewis White, age 49, Farmer, b. NC; Sophia White, f, age 44; Malinda White, f, age 17, James White, m. age 14, Caroline White, f. age 12;, Julia White, f. age 10, Martha White, f. age 9; Mary White, f. age 6.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Find A Grave.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The birth date for Sophia is listed in Gerald Posts' book Alive and Good to Know as well as many other family genealogies, taken from a couple of other early family group sheets. No source data is given. It is noted however, that all the other siblings dates are also listed, many have been verified, and no errors in birth dates have been found.
- ↑ It appears that Sophia's maiden name is "Cowan" based on her memorial stone. She was clearly Martha Richey's daughter from the letter she wrote to Selen Stout. While she is listed as Sophia Richey in many family genealogies, it doesn't appear she ever used that name. Sopme of her family genealogies show her name as "Sophia Charlotte Cowan."