Facts and Events
A Yeoman in old England was a Freeholder, next under the rank of Gentleman, and in the early times one who owned small landed estate. Robert of Shalford was such a man. He owned property in Shalford and Royston.
Robert was a citizen and fishmongerer on St. Thomas Street in St. Marys parish, London. He also lived in Wethersfield, Essex, Eng.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 McCracken, George E. Nathaniel Foote's English Relatives. The American Genealogist. (1977), 53:201.
Dated Jan. 27, 1608/9; pvd Feb. 15, 1608/9; mentions a lease in Royston, Cambridgeshire; the poor of the parish; the poor in Weathersfield; to wife Joan the yearly rents of tenements held of Sir Robert Chester, Knt. in the town of Royston; sons: Robert, James, Daniel < 24, Nathaniel < 24, Francis < 24, Joshua < 24; daughters: Elizabeth Foote ... at marriage or age 30; Mary Hewes; brother John Foote of London, grocer.
'ROBERT FOOTE ... buried at Shalford, Essex, 16 Feb. 1608/9.'
- ↑ McCracken, George E. Nathaniel Foote's English Relatives. The American Genealogist. (1977), 53:193.
Mentioned in his father's will: "to son Robert"
- Valore, Janis Greene; Myrtle Stevens Hyde; and Glade Ian Nelson. The Brookes of London: Maternal Ancestors of Nathaniel and Joshua Foote. American Genealogist (D.L. Jacobus). (1979), 55:203.
'... Robert Foote, then of ... London, later of Wethersfield, Essex, still later of Shalford, Essex, where he made his will 27 Jan. 1608/9, proved 15 Feb. of same year.'
- Waters, Henry F.. Genealogical Gleanings in England (NEHGR). New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (1883-1899), 51:135-36.
The abstract of Robert Foote's will mentions "my well beloved wife Joan", "my son Robert", "my son James", "son Daniel" (younger than 24), "sons Nathaniel, Francis and Josua [sic]" (all younger than 24), "daughter Elizabeth Foote" (unmarried and younger than 30), "son Joseph", "my daughter Mary Hewes" (with children), "my well beloved brother John Foote of London grocer and my son in law John Hewes of Royston".
- McCracken, George E. Nathaniel Foote's English Relatives. The American Genealogist. (1977), 53:193.
'JOHN FOOTE of Royston, Cambridgeshire, tallow chandler, made his undated will which was probated 18 July 1558 (PCC 34 Noodles, [Abram W. Foote's Foote Family comprising the Genealogy and History of Nathaniel Foote of Wethersfield, Connecticut and his Descendants, 1907, 2:645]), in which he leaves ... to wife Helen, ... [to] my brother Foote [that he] oweth to his two eldest children; to wife's brother Richard Warren the younger and to her uncle John Jenawaye of Stoone, ... to son Robert ... to son John Foot ... to Aves Foote and Elizabeth Foote, daughters ... '
- ↑ Birth year estimated based on marriage date.