m. abt 1088
- Robert FitzRoy , de Caen
Facts and Events
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Robert Fitzroy, 1st Earl of Gloucester (before 1100 – 31 October 1147) was an illegitimate son of King Henry I of England. He was called "Rufus" and occasionally "de Caen", he is also known as Robert "the Consul". He was the half-brother of the Empress Matilda, and her chief military supporter during the civil war known as The Anarchy, in which she vied with Stephen of Blois for the throne of England.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 ROBERT de Caen, illegitimate son of HENRY I King of England & his mistress --- (-Bristol 31 Oct 1147, bur Priory of St James, Bristol), in Cawley, Charles. Medieval Lands: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families.
- ↑ Robert, 1st Earl of Gloucester, in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia. (Online: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.).
- Espolin (GS #12462, pt 1, p. 101).
- Dict. of Nat'l Biog., Eng. Pub. A, v. 48, p. 356-58.
- Kings of England, Eng. 176, p. 30, 45-47.
- Bristol and Gloucs. Arch. Soc., Gloucs. Pub. A, v. 32, p. 204.
- Gen. Hist. 25, pt 1, p. 100.
- Plantagenet Ancestry, Eng. 116, p. 99.
- The Complete Peerage, G.E.C., Eng. V, v. 5, p. 683-89, 736.
- ↑ Roberts, Gary Boyd. The royal descents of 500 immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States (1993): who were themselves notable or left descendants notable in American history. (Baltimore [Maryland]: Genealogical Pub. Co., c1993), pg. 402.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Hansen, Charles M. The Barons of Woodhull: with Observations on the Ancestry of George Elkinton, Emigrant to New Jersey. The Genealogist. (1987).
- Robert de Mellent de Caen, 1st Earl of Gloucester, in Lundy, Darryl. The Peerage: A genealogical survey of the peerage of Britain as well as the royal families of Europe.
- Robert de Caen, in Find A Grave.
- Some authorities claim the mother of Robert, Earl of Gloucester to be Nesta, daughter of Rhees ap Tewder, Prince of South Wales; however, she is more likely to be a French woman from Normandy since Robert was born in Caen, France (see Dict. of Nat'l Biog.)
- It is known that Robert had one or two other sons whose names and dates of birth are not known