Facts and Events
||Mary Ann Van Stone
||01 FEB 1858
||East Wawanosh, Huron, Ontario, Canada
||East Wawanosh, Huron, Ontario, Canada
||23 MAY 1877
||Huron, Ontario, CanadaColborne Township
to Charles Butt, Sr.
||Bay, Michiganwith Charles Butt, Sr.
||Bay, Michigan, United Stateswith Charles Butt, Sr.
||Pontiac, Oakland, MichiganPontiac State Hospital
There are 136 vital records available on MyHeritage for Mary Ann Van Stone, including birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Vital records are historical records that are typically recorded around the actual time of the event, which means they are likely accurate.
Vital records include information like the event date and place, and the person's occupation and residence.
Vital records also often include information about the person's relatives.
For example, birth and marriage records include names of parents and divorce records list the names of children.
See all vital records for Mary Ann Van Stone
MARY ANN VAN STONE was born on 1 Feb 1858 at Ontario, Canada. Her birthdate is clear on the Ernest Butt record. The 1861 and 1894 census date agree. Her marriage record shows her to be two years older. However, the birthdate of her husband appears to be incorrect on that record as well. The Fraser date appears to be drawn from the marriage record. She appeared on the census of 1861 at Wawanosh, Huron, Canada West, Canada. She appeared on the census of 1871 at Wawanosh East, Huron North, Ontario, Canada.
She married CHARLES BUTT SR., son of JOSEPH BUTT and ANN WINN, on 23 May 1877 at Colborne Township, Huron County, Ontario, Canada, at the age of 19. They were the parents of seven surviving children, 4 girls and 3 boys.
She and CHARLES BUTT SR. appeared on the census of 1894 at Bay County, Michigan. The 1894 Michigan State Census also lists a Josephine, the same age as Joseph. This isn't supported by the definitive genealogy in the Ernest Butt inheritance record. Since that genealogy otherwise matches the census, the addition of Josephine in the census is assumed to be an error.
She and CHARLES BUTT SR. immigrated from Canada to the US in 1890, Son Charles listed 1890 as the year he entered the US.S4 The Van Stone family had a history of Huntington's chorea (see The Van Stone Family Curse). Mary was choreic three years later, in 1893, at age 35. Mary's illness likely had an extremely negative effect on youngest daughter Caroline. This lead to family scandal as described in The Importance of Being Ernest.
After ten years, Mary died of Huntington's Chorea in 1903 at Pontiac State Hospital, Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 In the matter of the estate of Ernest Butt , Late of the City of Windsor, In the County of Essex, Widower, Deceased: between Lemoyne Darlene S. (Supreme Court of Ontario, 20 April 1988), Page 40, Page 45, 1988, Primary quality.
- ↑ Madeline Hyde Kowalsky. Hyde/Butt Family Records. (Family Records, 2000), Secondary quality.
- ↑ Kimberly Louise Fraser. Butt GED Fraser. (Pedigree Resource File, Submission Number 432444-071999131402), Secondary quality.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 1894 Michigan State Census: Charles Butt Household. (Online Database), 1894, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1920 US Federal Population Census: Bay Ward 3, Bay County, Michigan, 1920, Primary quality.
- Karen Spiegel. Van Stone GED Spiegel. (GED File, February 3, 2004), Secondary quality.
- Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1922 (database on-line): Butt Van Stone Marriage. (Ancestry.com, Provo, Utah, 2006), 1877, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1861 John Van Stone Canadian Census, 1861, Primary quality.
- ↑ 1871 John Van Stone Canadian Census, Primary quality.
- 1900 Charles Butt Sr Census, 1900, Primary quality.
- ↑ Her birth date is clear on the Ernest Butt record. The 1894 census date agrees. Her marriage record shows her to be two years older. However, the birth date of her husband appears to be incorrect on that record as well. The Fraser date appears to be drawn from the marriage record.
- ↑ of Huntington’s chorea
- ↑ From Canada to the US. Son Charles listed 1890 as the year he entered the US.S5